5 Ways to Make Your Outdated Training Methods Effective
Many organizations struggle with outdated training methods that are no longer effective for various reasons. Whether it be generational differences, technology enhancements or stale content, the need to change and adapt has become a requirement to stay aligned to the modern learner. But the transition from making old technology and old content work for modern learners is not only a time consuming process, it’s a hard one. So, where do you start?
Here are 5 simple ways to be more effective in aligning to the modern learner.
- Leverage Video – Video popularity doesn’t even need stats anymore. It’s blown up. Platforms like Youtube, as well as Social networks that primarily leverage video, like Snapchat (How Snapchat is changing Corporate Learning) , has created video monsters in modern learners. Organizations have taken notice and are using it at the highest rate of all time. It doesn’t hurt that it’s cost effective for both building and deploying as well.
- Stretch Their Thinking – Providing content that helps the learner stretch their mind goes a long way in being more effective with the modern learner. Using stories, models, or even a theory is a fantastic way to do this.
- Include Social – The modern learner is social and they are willing and able to engage with each other to help others learn. Use social functionality to leverage the collective intelligence and improve engagement.
- Involve the Learner– The best way to be sure you know something is to teach it to someone else. Asking learners to teach back or for action after learning is a fantastic way to be more effective with the modern learner.
- Provide Coaching– The easiest thing to get right, yet the one that is often not leveraged. Give learners feedback and coaching based on their actions and involvement in the learning process.
All of these might not be necessary for every learning program, but each one will go a long way in being more effective in developing the modern learner.
Want to see a modern learning program in action? Check out LearnLoft’s out of the box Leadership Development Program for young professionals. Getting Leadership Ready Program.