“It’s not about figuring out how to give orders better, it’s about figuring out how to stop giving orders”
In season 10 episode 5, we are joined by Retired Captain of the US Navy, David Marquet. He is the author of "Turn the Ship Around: A True Story of Turning Followers Into Leaders." You can learn more from David by signing up to receive weekly leadership nudges at http://www.davidmarquet.com/.
In our conversation we cover:
- Why Stephen Covey’s Leadership definition matters today
- What is the difference between leader-follower vs leader-leader model
- Why is it so important to have leaders at all levels of an organization
- “If your people just need to be told what to do, they are easily replaceable”
- At a moral level, “thinking humans rarely do horrible thinking”
- How do you take someone from thinking leader-follower to thinking leader-leader
- Practical changes employees can make to make the change they want to see in their organization
- What’s the cost of bad leadership?
- What’s harder leading at home or leading at work?
- Why Jesus Christ shifted the way we viewed humans
- Best advice David knows
This episode is brought to you by "That Moment" listen to it wherever you listen to podcasts.Back To List